Travis Smith is currently entering his ninth season with the Los Angeles Dodgers organization. His current role is Major League Strength and Conditioning Coach. He began his career in professional baseball in 2011 as the AAA Strength Coach for the Miami Marlins organization and was the 2015 MiLB Pacific Coast League Strength Coach of the Year.
He has a master’s degree in Applied Exercise Science from Concordia University of Chicago and a bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science from Taylor University. He is also a Certified Massage Therapist.
He was born and raised in Chicago, IL, and currently resides in Arcadia, CA with his wife, Michelle, their daughter, Savannah, and their son, Travis Jr.
Topics covered in this episode:
- Brawls in the minor leagues
- Massage Therapy
- The Los Angeles Dodgers Strength & Conditioning / Sports Science Symposium
- “When I say constantly learning I mean constantly learning and applying the information as we go” (10:41)
- “Coaching is a skill” (17:06)
- “Wherever you are on the hierarchy you can lead” (19:36)
If you would like to learn more from Travis, you can check out the link to the Dodgers Symposium below: https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/fans/sports-symposium